Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Journal 7: My Personal Learning Network

Personal Learning Network: Nets 5; engaging in professional growth and leadership  




What is a PLN?
   My Personal Learning Network consists of those people I interact with and gain knowledge from.  These professional relationships come from connections on Social networking sites like Twitter or Blogging.  I may follow them, read posted articles or visit web sites or applications they suggest.  They may be people I have never met.  


Twitter
  Twitter is the social networking site I joined to follow other educators, keep up on the hot topics in education and build my teaching resources.  I follow Preschoolers at Education.com because there are creative lessons, educational down loads and link for preschoolers.  For example today they had a link to make your own sand castle dough.  This is a sub-site of the larger "Education.com"  
I follow "techiteacher", who consistently has great links.  He has a lot of resources for IPADs.  I also follow "markbrumley", who has great reflections and links education topics.  I found a very interesting parent of special needs children.  It is so important to be mindful of the parents' of our special needs students.  While I may have a student for a few hours, they have them for a lifetime.  I want what I teach in the classroom carry over to this student's home life and improve it.  I follow "LovemyAutismDiva."  After following the "Special ED Chat", I added "SpecialEdAdvice" to those I follow.  This is such a valuable site, giving back round on legal issues surrounding special education and even IEP (individual Education Plan) tools.  
 Digital Discussion Forum
The Chat I followed was on the topic of inclusion (August 2, 2011 at *:00pm).  The Sped Chat was on the second chat I have followed.  I thought it got off topic rather quickly. I didn't find much depth in the responses.   I'll have to join in on a few more before I'm sold on them. 

Diigo
    My favorite part of my PLN is the use of Diigo (Digest of Internet Information).  It is the social bookmarking website that allows the user to categorize, annotate, and even share parts of or entire websites.  With so much information available on the web, Diigo acts as my personal secretary to organize, store and locate information on specifics topics.  I have "bookmarked" sites for educational games (Freerice.com).   These games are great for a warm up activity for students.  I have book marked the NEA-Achievement Gap, Eyewitness National Archives, which is a website I will use to extend and enrich social students and history lessons.  This site give photographs, video and even audio recordings of historic events.  The digital discussion forum I  added to my tag roll is Educator's PLN  .  This site is dedicated to improving one's PLN.  I found a video on the use of Storyboarding with I PAD's on this site.  The application "Puppet Palace" was used to assist those students who may find it challenging to connect their ideas and incorporate illustrations.  Tools like these are excellent for the Special needs students I work with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment